Continuous meetings, intensive hard-core research, online classes, and such activities require high-speed internet with more bandwidth. Whether for educational or professional purposes, the necessity cannot be avoided despite its higher costs. Here’s where the Affordable Connectivity Program will help you!
The initiative began with COVID-19, but the legacy of digitization continues. Therefore, if you are searching for what is ACP, its eligibility, discounts, and how to make it, we have covered you all with it!
What is Affordable Connectivity Program?
The pace of digitization has skyrocketed in recent times. With increased reliance on technology, the necessity of high-speed broadband is a need of the hour.
At the same time, not everyone can afford it, and sometimes it becomes financially challenging to bear the expenses of buying another device. However, studies and professional life are something you cannot compromise upon.
Understanding it, the FCC launched the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) during the pandemic. Amid accelerated digitization, its legacy continues. The campaign aims to provide households with affordable broadband services for educational, professional, medical, and other reasons.
However, the scheme is not for all and only for eligible households. Thus, you must apply and check if you qualify for the same.
The following section will help you with the Affordable Connectivity Program’s discounts!
How Much Discount Does the ACP Offer?
You cannot get all the perks cum discounts of the ACP program. To avail of each of the perks, you must be eligible, and here are the discounts applicable –
|$30/Month||For Internet Service|
|$75/Month||Internet Service for Households in Qualifying Tribal Areas|
|One-time $100||For buying a tab, laptop, or desktop computer from purchasing providers. Provided they are contributing between $10-$50 to the price|
The ACP is confined to the stigma that you can get only one monthly service discount. Besides, one per household. For instance, in the same month, you cannot avail of broadband and device discounts. This is to prevent financial losses of the program and ensure adequate discounts for everyone.
Which Household is Eligible for ACP?
For a household to qualify for the eligibility program, they must have the household income corresponding to the size as mentioned!
|1||$27,180 or less|
|2||$36,620 or less|
|3||$46,060 or less|
|4||$55,500 or less|
|5||$64,940 or less|
|6||$74,380 or less|
|7||$83,820 or less|
|8||$93,260 or less|
|Add the amount given for each additional person||$9,440|
Additionally, if anyone from your house has been a member of the following, they are eligible for the program despite their income!
Eligibility Criteria for ACP Except Income
- The individual must have received a Federal Pell Grant in the current award year.
- The person should meet the eligibility criteria for a participating provider’s low-income internet program.
- Participation in one of the following assistance programs is required:
- Free and Reduced-Price School Lunch or Breakfast Programs, including USDA Community Eligibility Provision schools.
- SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program)
- Federal Housing Assistance, including Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8), Project-Based Rental Assistance (PBRA)/Section 202/ Section 811, Public Housing, and Affordable Housing Programs for American Indians, Alaska Natives, or Native Hawaiians
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- WIC (Women, Infants, and Children) program
- Veterans Pension or Survivor Benefits
- Lifeline program
If the person is living on Qualifying Tribal lands, they must participate in one of these assistance programs:
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance.
- Tribal TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families).
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations.
- Tribal Head Start (income based).
So, if you are eligible and you need discounts, then the following section will help you to apply for the Affordable Connectivity Program!
How to Enroll in the Affordable Connectivity Program?
If you think you are eligible and want to enroll in the program, it’s not possible offline. Besides, the website is different from official government portals.
- Open GetInternet.gov and submit an application
- Connect with your Participating Provider and choose a plan
- After approval, you can avail sufficient discounts
Besides, depending on the provider you choose, you might have to complete an additional application process as well. Further, your provider and you both have to select a plan.
Does the ACP Help Consumers?
FCC regulations safeguard Affordable Connectivity Program recipients through the following measures:
- Granting consumers the freedom to select a service plan that suits their requirements, including their existing plan.
- Ensuring that consumers can access supported broadband services regardless of their credit status.
- Prohibiting service providers from excluding consumers with past due balances or debts from enrolling in the program.
- Preventing consumers from being compelled to choose costlier or lower-quality plans to avail of the ACP benefits.
- Removing the responsibility of early termination fees from consumers.
- Reducing the risk of sudden and excessive billing or other financial hardships.
- Allowing ACP recipients to switch providers or opt for different broadband service offerings.
- Establishing a dedicated FCC procedure to address any complaints related to the Affordable Connectivity Program.
Through such initiatives, the FCC makes the best efforts to protect the interests of consumers.
The Bottom Line
If you wanted discounts on your internet connection amid work-from-home or online classes scenarios, you would have got your answer!
The Affordable Connectivity Program can provide up to $30/month online discounts on the internet. Furthermore, $100/month for device purchases to eligible households. Provided you will get only one perk of the program per household and only once a month.
Therefore, you can apply from the GetInternet.gov website and choose a contributing program provider. Besides, if you are not eligible but need a tablet with discounted internet, then click here to know more!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I apply for the Affordable Connectivity Program if I have a past-due balance with the provider?
Yes, if you have a past-due balance but are eligible for the program, you can apply.
Can I sign up for the Affordable Connectivity Program if I am already a customer or if I was a customer in the past?
Yes, if you have already been a customer of the provider, then too you can sign up for the program.
Can my roommate and I each get a monthly discount?
No, as per the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP), only one discount is eligible per household. Moreover, only either of you would be applicable.